Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Dangers of Self Appointed Expectations



Wellness can be a very personal topic. Carmyn's first Wellness Wednesday piece is a little bit of an introduction to her, she touches on a topic that many of us have struggled with, and discusses the realization that helped her cope. Many of us get a idea in our head of where our life SHOULD be at a specific time and point. We feel like we are failing at life because real life doesn't match that idea. Don't let those feelings set you back. 

Be sure to check back weekly for Carmyn's Wellness Wednesday feature each week, where she will discuss mental, physical, dietary, and emotional wellness!

I never thought that I would classify myself as mentally unwell. I am generally a happy person. I have a loving family, the best boyfriend and two purry fur babies.

I recently graduated from the University of Tennessee in May and ever since then I have been doing whatever I can for work, making cold calls and cleaning houses included. After receiving the chancellor’s award for “Outstanding Professional Promise” in April this is not where I expected to find myself at all.

Mentally I became somewhat unwell. I experienced a mental barrier between what I thought I deserved and what was offered to me in terms of a career. This caused me to shut down on my job search and to hesitate on going to the gym, which is usually a staple for me.

It all seemed to culminate on a haphazard beach trip that we took to “relax”. While on the trip we managed to lose the one set of keys to our rental, forget all of our clothes in the dresser, and to top it all off, I found out that I was passed up for a job that I thought was certainly going to be offered to me.

The culmination of these things should have made me explode. However, it forced me to mentally let go of thinking that everything was going to be perfect just because that is what I thought it should be. As cliché as it is to say, life happens.

Upon realizing that nothing is going to happen a certain way just because that is what I want is refreshing and freeing. So if you are like me, and are having feelings that things are not going your way, I implore you to take a step back and take a deep breath. Define what is in your control and what is not and let go of what isn’t. I think that you will find that your mental wellbeing will improve exponentially. 

Carmyn is an opinionated keyboard pecker, graphic designer, part time model and bikini enthusiast.

No comments:

Post a Comment